January 13, 2009

Kueh Bangkit

Chinese New Year is approaching in two weeks time and frankly the only CNY goodies I've baked so far is this Kueh Bangkit! I'm getting a little anxious because there's still a list of goodies I'm planning to bake over the weekend and next week and as luck would have it, my work has recently starting piling up! I'm initially planning to take some time-off or half day leave to bake at home but unfortunately my work seems to arrive at the wrong time. :( I'm trying to clear my work asap, hopefully next week, I'd be able to squeeze in more time to get home early to bake. :)

While making this kueh bangkit, I realised it was two years since I last baked kueh bangkit for CNY! Yes, I remembered very vividly cos' I knew last year, I didn't get to bake this as I was too busy churning almond cookies for sale.

Back to my kueh bamgkit, I adapted the recipe from Youfei's blog. Surprisingly this recipe does not require any butter/margarine and the result was so good. It has a crispy exterior and melts in your mouth when you bite into it.

In Youfei's recipe, she started by combining 120ml of coconut milk and 350g of tapioca flour. However, she did not mention whether to add the remaining 150g of flour later on (as original recipe states 500g). For me, the 350g flour is sufficient. I did add the remaining coconut milk (total 200ml) but I did not use the remaining 150g flour. So do be caution and add slowly. Do not mix all the flour and milk all at once. :)

My advice is not to rely on a recipe entirely because the brand of flour and coconut cream you use can differ so when making this kueh bangkit, it is best to start with 120ml cream and 350g flour and then add a little at a time until you get a dough that doesn't break apart when you roll and cut with a cookie cutter. This is enough. The dough doesn't have to be too soft and pilable like our normal dough. I once did that by adding too much coconut cream and ended up with a crispy kueh bangkit inside out!

Do give this recipe a try if you like Kueh Bangkit. Happy Baking and will share more of my goodies after I'd made it! ;)

9 comments:

youfei said...

Hi Aimei,

I'm really glad you tried out the recipe and liked it! =D

Thanks for pointing out the stuff i missed out =p Anyway, you did perfectly right! Just add slowly and adjust the amount of coconut milk to add to get a dough you're comfortable with.

That's also why 150g of flour was left out. In case the dough gets too wet, more flour could be added. Also, I used it to flour the work surface and rolling pin using the remaining 150g of flour so yep!

I guess preparing just 350g of flour would be ok too. Maybe i'm just kiasu and kiasi so i have more for any accidents =p

happy baking! and jia you for the cny baking spree! =)

Small Small Baker said...

Hi Aimei, your kueh bangkit looks really good. Makes me feel like trying. But cny is coming too soon. Might not have the time to bake it. I hope you have fun baking all the goodies. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I happen to chanced upon your blog. Your kueh bangkit looks really nice. I tried making it some time back but i always encouter the same problem, like the inside is not cooks but the outside looks crispy. have u ever encountered such problem?

Anonymous said...

Yes when its done right, its has the oh so shiok melt in the mouth sensation. Great job!

Anonymous said...

they look so perfect here! well done. u are so talented..

Aimei said...

Hi Youfei, thanks for the recipe!

SSB, yeah happy baking to you too! Ha.. so did you managed to find the pineapple tart recipe you want? I just made my own pineapple jam (first time!), ready to begin my pineapple tart baking tmr. ;)


Hi Anonymous, I've not encounter this prblem before. I only encountered crispy hard interior when I added too much coconut milk. Probably you need to bake a little longer? Sorry can't advise you in this problem.

Hi Anonymous and Missy! Thanks!

Pei-Lin said...

Hello Aimei,

Thanks so much for adding me on Flickr. I actually have been following your blog. But I don't blog for now. So, decided to add you on Flickr instead. LOL! Even for my Flickr page, it's new. My life as a student abroad just doesn't allow me to blog. :'(

Anyhow, I'm actually from KL and now in northern Minnesota, U.S till I finish my undergrad studies. Would consider myself a kitchen newbie. So eager to get to know other people out there who share the same passion as mine. Want to have more baking kakis as most people around me are not into this activity, except my mom and aunts. :'(

If you don't mind, I'd like to have you on MSN too! Can add me at liew_pei-lin@hotmail.com. Look forward to hearing from you soon! Have a happy, prosperous ox year and GONG HEY FATT CHOY!!!

Pei-Lin

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimei,

Your Kueh Bangkit looks so good, just like those that my Grandma (a Nyonya lady who is famous for her kueh bangkit) make when I was young.

You should start selling your bakes!

Anonymous said...

Awesome site, I had not noticed mybakingcottage.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Continue the superb work!