June 23, 2008

Chocolate Walnut Soy Muffins

I was craving to bake something when I saw I still have half a packet of soy milk sitting in the fridge and some leftover apple sauce from the apple juice my mum had cooked for my nephew.

Yeah, perfect for me to whip up these little muffins made with soy milk, walnuts and chocolate chips from this mini cookbook which I bought recently. I made some modifications to the recipe, by replacing some of the apple sauce for oil. I've read in some random cook books and resources that pureed prunes or apple sauce are good substitutes for oil, if you wanna reduce the fat content in a baked good. However, this seems to only works for quick breads, never use it as substitutes in cakes or cookies. It won't work! :) Also to bear in mind that it may not always work or taste that well, since you are trading in some healthful goodness for taste in a recipe.


Ingredients:

240g cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
85 g dark chocolate
85 g milk chocolate (I used chocolate rice)
100 g walnuts (chopped and toast in oven)
85 ml vegetable oil (I substituted with 85 ml apple sauce and about 25 ml oil)
4 tbsp honey
125 ml unsweetened soy milk
Juice from half lemon (I omitted this)

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line muffin tin with paper cups.
  2. Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add chopped chocolate and walnut and mix well.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine oil, honey and soy milk. Gradually fold in flour mizture until just combined.
  4. Pour batter into lined muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes until the tops are golden brown (I sprinkled the top with more chocolate rice).
  5. Remove from oven and leave it to cool.

Recipe Source: Mini Cookbooks Series - Desserts

Note: This is the original recipe. The muffin was moist and very crunchy with the right amount of sweetness, even though I had used apple sauce. Well, I guess any recipe with chocolates works! :D

No comments: