June 7, 2008

Soy Sponge Cake

My dear friend, Kexian was so excited when she saw my post - Soya Milk Chiffon that she sms me to tell me that she loved soya chiffon but it was rather expensive for a small cake sold outside and not many places are selling. That made me equally excited too cos' then I would wanna create a successful one too, knowing that my friends will be looking forward to my success. :)It so happened that I came across this recipe - Soy Sponge Cake in this series of Mini Cookbooks titled Desserts (published by Marshall Cavendish Cuisine) which I bought from Popular Bookstore recently. There are lots of other soy-based desserts such as muffins, waffles which sounds interesting as well. Anyhow, the first on my list to try in this mini book is this Soy Sponge Cake.

This is a rather simple sponge cake recipe, the only difference is the addition of soy flour, which you can get from most baking supply chains (I got from Phooon Huat). The method involves whisking whole eggs with sugar to light and fluffy (method as you would to a normal sponge cake recipe), then comes the folding of flour and melted butter.

The cake was soft and fluffy, with a slight tinge of soy flavour. I added some red bean paste to some of the mini muffins but all sank to the bottom of the muffin! I have forgotten that the batter is thin and fillings would not stay in the centre. :P They taste equally soft and moist after refrigeration. But I might consider not to reduce the sugar so drastically next time as I think they could be sweeter.

Ingredients:

85g All purpose flour
55g soy flour
2/3 tsp baking powder
5 eggs
140g castor sugar (I reduced to 110g)
80ml water
1 tsp vanilla essence
70g butter melted

Method:
  1. Sift both types of flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
  2. Beat eggs and sugar in another mixing bowl until light and fluffy (about 15 minutes). Add water and vanilla essence to egg mixture.
  3. Fold in flour mixture, then melted butter and blend well.
  4. Grease 6-8 small cake tins. Fill each tin with batter until 3/4 full. (according to original recipe)
  5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 17 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  6. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool before serving.
Recipe Source: Mini Cookbooks Series - Desserts

Note: This recipe is a rather big serving and you might want to consider halving it if you are not making alot or your oven is not big enough. I would not recommend baking it in different batches as the air from the beaten eggs will start to deflate after whisking and staying in room temperature for too long. I was able to make 44 mini muffins size.


Ok, with still half packet of soy flour, I will 'create' my own soy chiffon soon! ;)

12 comments:

daphne said...

woh! 44 mini sponge cakes? wow!

Rei said...

Hi there! I have previously tried out soy chiffon using Sobe unsweetened soy milk with 1-1/2 tbsp of soy flour. Do give it a try!

Anonymous said...

I bought a pack of soy flour on impulse. After seeing your posts, I know what I'm going to use it for!

Aimei said...

Daphne: Yes, 44! The muffins are really mini!

Rei: What's the proportion of flour to soy flour?? I'm eager to try that out. :)

Bernice: Yeah, can try it out. I'll post the recipes of the others soy-recipes after I have tried it. :)

Rei said...

Hi Aimei, mine is a 4 yolks, 5 whites recipe.I used 110g of cake flour with 1-1/2 tbsp of soy flour. Unsweetened soy milk 140g. I used Sobe brand as I find it thicker. HTH. Do post other soy recipes! Looking forward to them. :)

Anonymous said...

hi,

any idea whats the difference btw using whisking(beat the egg white separately) and creaming method?

thanks!

faith

Aimei said...

Hi Anonymous,

Creaming method involves beating butter with sugar until light and fluffy. You can do it manually with a wooden/metal spoon or you can also use electric beater if the quantity is alot.

For whisking egg whites, you have to use an electric beater to beat until it reaches stiff peaks (the egg white becomes white and stiff). Some resources do states that you can use a wire whisk but I think that's quite unachievable cos you really need alot of strength. The beaten egg whites is then folded into a cake batter carefully. The air whipped from the egg whites will allow the cake to rise, producing a soft, delicate and spongy cake (usually a chiffon cake).

Sometimes we also whisk whole eggs instead of egg whites only to make a sponge cake. This produces another kind of sponge cake with slightly different texture.

Haha I've said too much, too long winded. Hope it helps. :)

Anonymous said...

it definitely helps! you're not long winded! thanks for the advice=)

i heard end product from whisking method are more fluffy and it doesn't 'stick on to teeth' as compared to creaming method. any idea if its true? haa

thanks lots! =)

faith

Aimei said...

Hi Faith,

Haha I've not heard of that. :P Personally I felt that cakes using the creaming method tends to be richer, such as butter cake so I guess that's why it sticks onto teeth haha. It's usually more popular and easier I would say, but it's more messy to clean up (for me cos it's oily).

Whisking produces llight and airy texture and it's healthier. :)

Stella said...

This is such an interesting recipe, I wish I could have soy flour available here:)
The way you describe it, it sure sounds pleasing to the palate!

Aimei said...

Hi Stella,

Thanks for dropping by! :)

hanushi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.