I really enjoyed making, eating and looking at this swiss roll. It makes me doubly happy when people are happy receiving a piece of chocolate cake. :D
You may find my posting getting shorter at times cos' of my work committments and other personal activities I have. I'd definitely keep my baking going as much as I can but as for blogging, I'd still try to keep this blog going to document my journey and sharing recipes whenever I can. :)
Chocolate Swiss Roll Sponge Cake
30g unsalted butter
25g fresh milk
200g whole eggs, beaten (about 3.5)
20g egg yolk (about 1 egg yolk)
95g castor sugar
60g cake flour
15g cocoa powder
- Sift cake flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Melt butter with milk over a double boiler or microwave. Set aside.
- Beat whole eggs, egg yolk and castor sugar with high speed until light and creamy. When the beater is lifted, it leaves a trail that does not disappear immediately. Continue beating for another 1 minute using low speed to stabilise the batter.
- Fold 1/3 of the sifted flour into the batter and mix well.
- Fold the remaining flour into the batter until the flour is well incorporated.
- Scoop a small portion of the batter into the melted butter-milk mixture in step two and mix well briefly. Then pour the mixture back into the batter and mix well, until the butter and milk mixture and batter are well combined.
- Pour into a 36cm by 26cm swiss roll pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 12 minutes. When the surface starts to turn brown, i would usually tent with an aluminium foil to prevent the surface from turning too brown, as it may crack during the rolling process. (Some swiss roll pans that comes in a square is 26cm by 26cm. You can mutiply the recipe by 0.7. For a pan of 43cm by 33cm, you can mutiply by 1.5)
- Turn out baked sponge cake onto a cooling rack and allow it to cool before spreading onto the cream.
I will post the recipe for the cream should I make it next time. You can use any creams e.g. ganache, whipping cream, whipped or butter cream, as you desired. :)