July 12, 2008

Lao Po Bing (Wife Biscuits)


Wife Biscuits, which we chinese commonly called 'Lao Por Bing' when translated in chinese, is a chinese pastry with sweet winter melon paste as filling and a flaky pastry. Years ago I was first introduced to this pastry by my brother who went to Hong Kong for holiday. I got to know that it is a popular local pastry in Hong Kong.

Nowadays in Singapore, it can be found in many confectioneries. However, the real good ones are hard to find. I have yet to find out where the famous Lao Por Bing in Singapore is, though I do like the one from Crystal Jade. I've tried different versions from Hong Kong too. Some were packed in pretty packagings for tourists to buy back as gifts. However I find that those pretty packagings which claimed to be the original ones from Hong Kong'sfamous Yuen Lang (Place famous for its Lao Po Bing) is a far cry from some others I've tasted. Freshness is still the more crucial aspect.

Anyhow, what I'm introducing here is the Lao Po Bing I made some time ago. Yes I made my own Lao Po Bing! :D In fact, I had been eyeing this recipe since the day I saw it, but only waited until recently when I discovered the ingredients needed for making this pastry is expiring soon, thus I set to making it.

I must say this recipe is a really good one! It was sooo nice when fresh out from the oven! The filling had the right sweetness, and the pastry was soft and flaky. To make the pastry, you need a water dough and oil dough. Florence - Do What I Like had posted the steps showing the mehod to make the pastry skin, so rest assured you'll definitely be able to do it with the detailed pictures to follow.

My Uncle felt that it was a little dry though. Well, you could increase the amount of shortening if you want, as I had used the least amount of shortening called for in the recipe (Florence indicated 45 - 50g, while I used 45g).
Do try this if you like Lao Po Bing!

16 comments:

quizzine said...

Hi, your laopobing looks really delicious. Feels like eating it now! This is going to be on my must try*** recipes

daphne said...

hey hey! That looks great!! Alot of effort isnt it? I made mine a few months ago and found that the crust was a little too dry too. Thanks for the shortening tip!! Yours looks so pretty!

Aimei said...

Hi Quizzine, Thanks! :) Sure this is delicious! Just up on the amount of shortening if you don't like the crust to be too dry.

Hi Daphne! Yeah quite alot of effort when making one by one. Well at least not that time consuming as yeast bread! haha...

Par said...

ahhh...i like it.
Im going to try to make it later.
thanks for sharing!!

Aimei said...

Hi Ms___2 be!

Let me know how it turns out for you ok! :) Hehe your name is so cutez!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Where can I get the stuff needed for the wife biscuit, especially the kor fan?

Thanks.

Audrey

PS: wrote to Florence regarding the above, but she never replied

Aimei said...

Hi Audrey,

I bought the kor fan from baking supplier stores. Are you from Singapore? If you are, you can easily get from Phoon Huat. It is especially available during mid-authumn festival seaon where people use it to make ping pi mooncakes. What other ingredients you need to know? Just drop me an email or comment. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimei,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am from S'pore. So Phoon Huat is where I can get most of the stuff needed right?

Any idea where I can lard in S'pore? Heard if you use that the biscuit is more yummy.

Thanks again!
Have a great weekend!

Audrey

Aimei said...

Hi Audrey,

Lard is also known as shortening. You can also get shortening from Phoon Huat. Just ask the staffs there. They should be able to assist you. There are also many baking suppliers in Singpore, just that Phoon Huat is the one I go to most often cos it's more convenient for me. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Aimei for all your help!

Audrey

Aimei said...

No problem! :) I'm most glad if I can help. Hope it turns out well!

Anonymous said...

Heyhey,

if you are looking for famous lao po bing in Singapore, you might want to try "Da Sheng Hong Kong Pastry" in Chinatown. Its located at Pagoda Street, near the market.

Then again, your version looks fabulous too!! Cant wait to try them.

Aimei said...

Hey anonymous, thanks for the info! I'll keep a lookout! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, do you mind posting the steps?

Eman Rohe said...

Hi Aimei, it seems Florence has taken down the recipe, do u still have the recipe that you used?

Thanks!!
Tiong Han

glipglop said...

Hi, your pictures look great and I will like to try. Do u have the recipe for the Lao po bing? Will really appreciate a lot when u post it. :)