July 31, 2008

Wholemeal Loaf

People who know me well enough or have been reading my blog often would have know I'm a bread lover, especially wholegrain versions. I like food with the grainy, nutty or crunchy texture. Unfortunately my parents don't really fancy, and can't appreciate the goodness of it. Nonetheless I still buy it sometimes, or alternatively the softmeal texture which is not so grainy.

I made this simple wholemeal loaf posted by Happy Homebaker. I made it twice already. The first time, I didn't take note of the temperature and baked it at only 170°C to 180°C. Then the loaf didn't rise to a square loaf! :( I was quite disappointed, yea cos' just before popping into the oven, it had risen to about 90% of the pullman tin and I was quite confident actually. Thus I made it the second time again.

I preheated the oven to 190°C as stated in the recipe but still it did not rise to a square. Happy Homebaker said hers did rise to a square. Hmmmm...probably next time I would use a slightly higher temperature, since oven behaviour plays an important role in the results of baked goods many a time. Still, the bread remained soft for a few days and goes well with any jams and peanut butter cos' it's plain and simple. :)

Happy Homebaker got this recipe from 孟老师的100道面包 . I finally acquired this book! :) :) :) Gonna try out more bread recipes from this book. :D


The above were my first trial...This was my second try in making the bread. I made into a vegetarian sandwich by roasting some leftover eggplants and bell peppers to go with it. There you are! Wholemeal sandwiches. :D

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your wholemeal bread looks really fluffy! And your sandwich sounds very healthy :P

Par said...

Love egg plants, nice sandwich!

Aimei said...

Hey thank you ovenhaven and ms.______2 be! hee...

Anonymous said...

Hi, your wholemeal bread looks absolutely delicious! And looks like it doesn't have thick crust - did you cut away the crust or did it turn out like that based on the recipe you use? Great blog you have!

daphne said...

Fresh bread tastes the best! Esp since this is so healthy too! Nicely done!!!

Lore said...

You would've enjoyed them both because I bet they tasted great even id they didn't rise as much as the recipe stated.

Aimei said...

Hi Kellie,

It turned out the way it is. It does not have a thick crust. The crust was soft, not too thick, just nice. :) But I'm still not good at slicing bread loaf, always need the help of my dad! :P

Daphne and Lore, Thanks! :)

Unknown said...

Ai Mei,

Where did you learn your baking skills? Was it straight out from reading recipes or did you attend any baking class?

Angel

Aimei said...

Hi Angelina,

I've not attended any classes so far, except for one hands-on workshop which wasn't very helpful. I learnt thru trials and errors, and readings from cookbooks, recipes, blogs and online resources. :) Thus I had many failures as well. :P