April 2, 2009

Durian Mousse Cake for Bro

It was my brother's birthday last week and he invited us to his house for dinner. He took this as an opportunity for our family to get together since we seldom have a family get-together after my elder brothers got married.

My sister-in-law cooked some simple dishes and I volunteered to bake a birthday cake for him, :P. This is a durian mousse cake made with vanilla chiffon sponge and durian mousse. Hehe I know pink weren't suitable for a guy, but that's the only food colouring I have and I refrained from using fruits or strawberries as decorations since this was meant to be a really pure durian cake. What's more I've not seen any bakeries selling durian cakes with other deco except simple whipped cream. I only sprinkled some chocolate shavings and piped some whipped cream on it.

I 'boldly' used a chiffon cake base instead of a sponge cake base as I wanted to practise making a chiffon cake. If it fails, I thought I could still make a sponge cake. :)

The chiffon cake baked well in the oven but as usual, it sank a little, and more to one side upon the end of the baking. The structure was not sturdy enough. Fortunately it did not sink that much to result in a kueh-like cake. The cake was soft and tasted very nice! I believe ever since I switched to pure vanilla extract, it does make a whole lot of difference to plain vanilla cakes. :D

For the durian mousse, I used the recipe from Aunty Yochana's durian mousse cake. The mousse was good but of course you need to buy good quality durians.

As my nephew was taking photos with my brother (also their大伯), my elder nephew exclaimed: Wow the cake 好香 (smells good!). Hehe.. See my two little mischevious nephews!

No comments: