The snowskin recipe was obtained from Zu's blog - Quick 'n' Easy Treats. I like the texture and it's a simple recipe. Here it is:
- 75g glutinous fried rice flour (kou fein)
- 90g powdered sugar
- 33g shortening
- 75g cold drinking water
- 1/2 tsp condensed milk
- Vanilla essence or other flavours that you fancy
- Colorings of you choice
- Any paste of your choice (red bean, lotus, green tea, etc)
- Salted egg yolks, steamed on an oil plate for about 5-10min (optional)
- Sieve flour and powdered sugar
- Add shortening and mix them using rubbing-in till you get crumb like texture
- Add water, condensed milk, essence and colouring, mix well until it forms a smooth dough
- Set dough aside for at least 20mins
- Make the fillings into ball shapes of 28g inclusive of yolk if you are using (note: this really depends on the type of mould you are using and the thickness of the skin you want it to be). I would advise you try out one first to get the right proportion.
- Divide dough into small portion each 22g
- Flatten dough to wrap up the fillings
- Seal up dough to enclose filling completely
- Roll the dough in fried glutinous rice and sprinkle some of it in the mould for easy releasing.
- Press into mould and knock the mould to loosen the mooncake
Makes 12 mini mooncakes
After the red bean paste were finished, i still had some dough left. In order not to waste it, I came up with my own version...peanut mooncakes! I mixed some peanut butter with crushed peanuts, and ...yeah there comes my peanut mooncakes. I made it much shorter or it becomes a mini bite-size one. I quite like this, it tasted just like peanut mochi...