August 7, 2010

blueberry crumble muffins

I shall just keep this post simple and sweet. Work has been getting too busy that I only have little time to surf the net or do anything blogging unless I sacrifice some sleep.

It's impossible to maintain the so-called "work-life balance" that my company is constantly advocating but I shall try my best to maintain it as I can. I'm not a workaholic definitely. :) I made this twice and will make it over and over again. The texture is soft without being too buttery even though its a butter cake-base that uses the creaming recipe. If you don't mind a little extra work, please do not skip the crumble toppng because this is what gives it the extra bonus! :)


blueberry crumble muffins

Ingredients for crumble topping:

20g unsalted butter, softened
20g castor sugar
20g cake flour
10g ground almonds

Ingredients for muffins:

120g pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g fresh blueberries
50g unsalted butter, softened
40g brown sugar
30g castor sugar
1 egg, about 65g
60g cold fresh milk


Method:

  1. Make crumble topping. Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Chill in the refrigerator until use.
  2. Preheat oven to 180°C . Sift flour and baking powder twice. Set aside 18 blueberries.
  3. Beat butter with an elecctric mixer until soft and creamy. Add both sugars and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until well-combined.
  4. Add one-third of flour and fold in with a spatula. Add half of milk and continue to fold batter gently. Add another one-third of flour and fold in, followed by the remainig milk. Add remaining flour and fold through, but do not overmix. Add remaining blueberries and fold in gently.
  5. Line muffin tray with muffin paper cases. Spoon batter into cases until about three-quarter full. Divide the 18 blueberries among each muffin (3 for each), then sprinkle crumble topping over.
  6. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until muffin has a springy texture when pressed gently.
  7. Leave muffins to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe Source: "Okashi Treats" by keiko ishida (yields 6 regular-size muffins)

7 comments:

busygran said...

Yummy muffins! Agree that the crumble gives the oomph!

Bakericious said...

Aimei, the muffins look delicious, I love the crumble top :)

quizzine said...

They look yummy & I love the crumble top. I'm going to mark this in my to-do list ;-)

Min said...

Your muffins look delicious, I will keep this recipe, will bake once I get the blueberries ready :)

Aimei said...

Yup it's delicious. This recipe is really good, I have no doubt about it. Happy baking :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimei!!

Hello :) dropped by to see your blog :) I love the pink back drop. Btw the muffins looks really good :D i love fruits in muffins

Hearty Bakes said...

Love the crumble on the muffins. It does add crunch and fragrance to the muffins. Lovely looking too.