October 21, 2007

Cornbread muffins

Baked some cornbread muffins for my breakfast the next day. hehe yah its my third time baking with cornmeal, as I wanted to clear my stock before they expire...that's one of my way to decide what to bake.

This recipe was supposed to be a healthy cornbread muffin, thus it's rather bland and dry. I substituted half of the all purpose flour with wholemeal flour to give it a crusty bite and added in some mixed berries jam. I would actually recommend these be baked as a loaf so that it can be toasted or spread with jam or butter.















Ingredients:

  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup wholemeal flour, half cup all purpose flour (stick to 1 cup of all purpose flour if you do not like those rough crusty bite)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar (rather bland so you might want to increase if you prefer it to be sweeter and not intending to spread anything)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup low fat buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup yogurt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil (I would increase to 2 tbsp as I find it too dry)
  • Any jam of your choice

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
  2. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
  3. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, yogurt and oil. Pour buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
  4. Fill each muffin cup 1/2 full with batter, add about 1 tbsp of jam and top up to 2/3 full.
  5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean.

Recipe Source: BakingBites

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It still looks as nice as the muffins you have made in the past

=D