This recipe was supposed to be a healthy cornbread muffin, thus it's rather bland and dry. I substituted half of the all purpose flour with wholemeal flour to give it a crusty bite and added in some mixed berries jam. I would actually recommend these be baked as a loaf so that it can be toasted or spread with jam or butter.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour, half cup all purpose flour (stick to 1 cup of all purpose flour if you do not like those rough crusty bite)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar (rather bland so you might want to increase if you prefer it to be sweeter and not intending to spread anything)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil (I would increase to 2 tbsp as I find it too dry)
- Any jam of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, yogurt and oil. Pour buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fill each muffin cup 1/2 full with batter, add about 1 tbsp of jam and top up to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean.
Recipe Source: BakingBites