I halved the recipe as I knew my small family of 3 in this house definitely will not be able to finish. I was abit worried that it won't work for half the recipe but I go for it anyway. The original recipe came from Molly's blog - Orangette. She used lemon for the syrup while i changed it to orange. I baked mine in a small 5-inch pan. It rose beautifully, but in a very unsymmetrical way, looks very ugly though.. Haha, probably due to my mixing. I had some additonal batter, so I poured it in a heart-shaped mini cake mould I bought from Daiso not long ago. It was cute! Best for baking little hearts to your beloved. Hmmm...maybe can bake some chocolate hearts next time... :P
This was a really nice, flavourful cake. It taste good even without the glaze and was finished within a day! My little nephew liked it too. :)
I will try it again, with other modifications.
Ok here's the recipe:
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour (I used normal all purpose)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup canola oil
Ingredients for the glaze (optional):
- Juice from 1 1/2 orange
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, and eggs, stirring until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and zest, mixing to just combine.
- Add the oil and stir to incorporate. At first, it will look like a horrible, oily mess, but keep stirring, and it will come together into a smooth batter.
- Pour and scrape the batter into a buttered 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the cake feels springy to the touch and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Cool cake on a rack for about 20 minutes; then turn it out of the pan to cool completely.
- When the cake is thoroughly cooled, combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl and spoon it gently over the cake. The glaze will be thin and will soak in like a syrup.
Recipe Source: Orangette
Note: I find the batter abit too oily. You might want to try increase the yogurt to 3/4 cup and reduce the oil to 1/4 cup as what Alphineberry did.